Once more unto the breach, dear friends, wherever you may be
As I dip my toe again into the waters of IF, I am struck by how much things have changed since my last foray. I guess 4 years of absence will do that to you. My comprehensive list of bookmarks is reduced to a collection of mostly broken links, favorite resources seem to have dried up, the newsgroup seems vastly different than I remember it, and my knowledge of any recent games is minimal… It seems I have some catching up to do!
Anyway, on to my progress…
Part of the re-introduction process involves relearning everything I have forgotten about I7, which is to say, just about everything I ever learned in the first place. After installing the IDE, I thought it might be educational (and fun) to go back through the last project I had started. It was an interesting experience. Rather than simply reading through the code that I had written, I compiled the game and did a play through, and was surprised by how much I had accomplished, and by the complexity of some of the things I had achieved. Even more surprising, though, was how quickly I was able to reacquaint myself with the way things worked; as I plugged cords into outlets and swung picture frames away from walls, familiarity started creeping in, and I was able to remember the basics of how I had done those things. I dipped into the code, and it all started to take on a recognizable shape. Hopefully this means the relearning process won’t be too strenuous.
Last night, I started storyboarding so that I have a good framework to build from. It is an eye opening exercise, since it revealed a few rather large gaps between where I wanted the story to go and how it would get there. I’ll keep plugging away at it, though. I know the story I want to tell, so now it’s a matter of figuring out the best way to tell it.
If anyone can recommend a version of the manual that is formatted properly for the Kindle (Fire, if that matters), I’d be most grateful for the advice. The PDF version looks nice but doesn’t scale well, and converting it with Calibre resulted in some seriously funky formatting and a non-function table of contents. I know from my last attempt that having the manual to peruse when I am away from the IDE can be very helpful in helping me build my overall knowledge.